The roots of our church really begin more than a hundred years ago. The legacy that is Our Lady Star of the Sea extends back to 1891 when Rev. Charles P. Gillen, pastor of St. Bernard's Parish in Mt. Hope established a mission church in the Hurdtown area. The church remained open to serve the needs of miners and their families until 1908. At that time the mines closed down and many families moved away. In 1911 the church building was moved to Nolan's Point Road just west of Castlerock Road after the property was donated by the Brady family. The wood framed building, Star of the Sea Mission Church, served the community for the next 45 years. Various records show that during the early years the mission of many of the priests who served the faithful on the weekends and during the summer months were from Seton Hall College.
Our Lady of the Lake Mt. Arlington was incorporated as a parish in 1938 and became responsible for the mission church of Our Lady Star of the Sea(OLSOS). Rev. John F. Brady served as pastor and Administrator to OLSOS until 1945. Fr. Joseph Duffy served as administrator from 1945 till 1957.
Then tragedy struck Sunday afternoon August 13, 1956. The wooden structure on Nolan's Point Road burned to the ground within minutes. After the fire Ellen T. Briggs School was used for Sunday Masses
Rev. Francis P. McGowan arrived in the Spring of 1957. He championed the fundraising to build our new church in its present location and after a donation of the current 9 acre parcel by the Briggs family, the cornerstone of the church was erected in October 1958. Just three years and three days after the fire the Church was dedicated by Bishop James McNulty of the Paterson diocese on August 16, 1959. The seating capacity of the church is 350-400 people. The church had a rustic contemporary design with Tennessee stone on the main entrance. The interior church's focal point was a large crucifix with a mosaic scene portraying the Crucifixion that was situated behind the alter.
Rev. Brendan Madden was pastor of Our Lady of the and Administrator to OLSOS from 1964 Rev. William Lawler was pastor of Our Lady of the Lake and Administrator from 1968 & 1969. In 1971 Fr. Lindgren became the first pastor of OLSOS when it became a full-fledged parish. A Rosary Altar Society was established in 1972. Fr. John Quinlan, associate pastor, instituted the first CCD Program, Couples Club and Youth Group in 1972. During this time there were folk masses, square dances, parish picnics, a housewife's mass, men's softball team, and babysitting services for the 10:00 am mass.
In 1974 Fr. Lebiedz was pastor and in 1975 Fr. Leo Carey became pastor. In 1976 Sr. Dorothy Vespia, S.C. became the full time coordinator of the Religious Education program. In 1990 major restoration of the church was undertaken of the pews, ceiling, lighting, carpeting and walls of the church
Fr. Carey retired in 1992 and OLSOS welcomed Fr. P. Christopher Muldoon as its pastor. Fr. Chris, as he is known, established many programs and activities at the church. Ministries such as the RCIA and Antioch programs were instituted.
In 1992 Sr. Evelyn O'Connor, C.S.J.P. became the Director of Religious Education. In 1995 the first Parish Advisory Board was established. Sr. Kathleen Doyle, C.S.J.P. became the new Director of Religious Education in 1996.
On May 1, 1999 Vincent Pisano was ordained to the Permanent Deaconate and became OLSOS first Deacon and served as the Director of Religious Education. In 2008 we said farewell to Deacon Vince and his wife as they relocated to Delaware. Sister Ann Marie McDowell became our DRE in 2004 until 2006 until Sister Kathleen rejoined us once again.
By 1999 our CCD program was bursting at the seams at E.T. Briggs and it was soon discovered that we would have to find another home for the Religious Education classes. A building campaign was established and by 2002 the construction of new parish center began. Through the generosity of our parishioners we were able to complete the building and the parking lot. The new Parish Center was opened and blessed by Bishop Rodimer on September 6, 2003.
In May 2007 Alberto Totino became the second deacon ordained as a Permanent Deacon for our parish .
Today if you venture in back of our parish center you will come to an outdoor altar. This altar was constructed by an Eagle Scout, Edward Sanford, Jr. in 2007.